At Flemington Fur’s it’s our job to stay up on the fashion trends and know what’s in, what’s out and what looks good! But when it’s not a part of your job, it can be easy to fall behind and get stuck in a style rut. Make 2016 the best year yet with these 5 New Year’s resolutions for a more fashionable you!
Purge and organize your wardrobe
Unless you have a closet like Kim Kardashian, you most likely have an unorganized, smaller closet like so many of us. Unfortunately, if you can’t see certain articles of clothing, you’re less likely to wear it. Here are some tips for getting your wardrobe in tip top shape:
- Go through everything. Try on every single article of clothing and make sure you have close friends you trust with you. They will be able to tell you whether or not something looks good or needs to be trashed (or donated). Pay close attention to fit (is it stretched out? Too small?) and overall quality (are there any stains, rips or holes? Is it pilling?)
- Write down everything (especially staples) that you want to replace. For example, if you had to get rid of a great blazer, you’re going to need to buy a new one.
- Organize your closet by category and color. Hang as many things as you can (blouses, nice trousers, dresses and skirts). Fold any knit sweaters, tops and cardigans because you don’t want them to get stretched out by a hanger.
Stay up on the trends
When it comes time to replacing any old clothing items you had to get rid of, take some time to flip through the fashion magazines to find out what’s in style. Please do not take this to mean you should then go out and buy every single trendy piece out there. It’s just good to keep yourself educated and magazines will help teach you how to properly style your clothing! We think the Fur Insider does a wonderful job capturing the best fall and winter fashion trends.
Discover your signature style
You’re at the point where you have some great pieces hanging up in your closet, you’re up on the fashion trends and you’re ready to invest in a few new pieces. Now is the time to decide what you want your signature style to be. Look at the pieces of clothing you left hanging up in your closet, the ones that made the cut. What do they all have in common? Some things to think about:
- What message are you trying to get out about yourself to people? Your personal style speaks volumes about your personality. Think about that when putting your outfits together.
- Wear the colors that work with your skin tone and hair color.
- Embrace your shape. Get items tailored to make them fit perfectly for YOU.
- Accessorize with one of a kind jewelry, belts, and chic shoes. A necklace or ring from your mother or grandmother is a timeless piece with personal value.
Did you see a trend in the magazines that you’re dying to try, but aren’t sure how people will react? You don’t get anywhere in life by playing it safe! Don’t let what others think affect your sense of style. The right outfit can transform any boring day into something spectacular. It can even transform YOU and the actions you take. If you’re more confident in an outfit that you think you look fabulous in, people will recognize that and be drawn in by you.
Spend your money wisely
Rachel Zoe once said “It’s better to have fewer things of quality than too much expendable junk.” And we couldn’t agree more. If you go back to the clothing you got rid of, you will most likely find it was a lot of lower quality clothing that you bought just because it was on sale. Stock up your wardrobe with beautiful, high quality pieces of clothing that will never go out of style. A fur coat will last a LIFETIME if you have it stored properly. Make it your New Year resolution to only buy high quality fashions and you won’t have to purge your closet in the new years to come. Some items we suggest splurging on:
- Fur, of course!
- A simple little black shift dress
- High quality silk blouses
- Cashmere sweaters
We hope this was helpful, and we wish you all a HAPPY and HEALTHY New Year!